Ontario Provincial and Regional Rare Bird Alerts and Birding News
Below is a list of provincial and regional sources of information about birds in Ontario. It includes email groups, instant messaging services, and social media groups. Please note that many of these have no affiliation with OFO. To report an error or omission, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provincial Rare Bird Alerts (RBAs)
- Provincial email-based Listserv run by OFO.
- Ontario Rare Bird Alert (Facebook group)
- Facebook group for reports of provincially-rare birds.
- Ontario Rare Bird Alert (eBird)
- Automatic eBird-based alerts for the province. Note this includes all records in Ontario "flagged" as rare at the local level from the previous seven days. Can be viewed online or subscribed to for email alerts (hourly or daily).
- Ontario Bird Alert (private Discord server, requires membership)
- Discord server (best used with the Discord app but can be used online with a web browser) with separate "channels"; for regional alerts/discussion but also features an Ontario-wide rare bird alert channel.
- To join, you need a valid invitation link: this one was updated on 7th April 2022.
- If the link does not work, please contact the Ontario Bird Alert Discord team.
- Ontario Rare Bird Alert (Google group)
- Email-based group (can be viewed online only) with custom hourly and daily feed from eBird of provincial-level rarities.
Provincial Birding News and Discussion
- OFO on Facebook
- Provincial email-based Listserv run by OFO for announcements, CBC results, FOY sightings, hawk watch reports, bird festival sightings, etc.
- Ontario Birds (Facebook group)
- Group for anything related to birds/birding in Ontario.
- Advanced Birding in Ontario (Facebook group)
- Group for discussing advanced bird/birding ideas (e.g. difficult ID, hybrids, etc.).
Regional Birding News and Discussion (including local Rare Bird Alerts)
- Algoma District Birding
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Algoma District.
- Birding Red Lake, ON
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Red Lake area.
- Google group for bird sightings in Brant County.
- Bruce Birders
- Facebook messenger group for bird sightings in Bruce County. Only meant for locals - sightings of note shared with Discord and other outlets. To request to join, contact one of the admins (Kiah Jasper and Michael Butler).
- Halton/Peel Birds
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Halton and Peel Regions.
- Hamilton Birders
- Google group for bird sightings in Hamilton Study Area (25 mile radius of Dundurn Castle).
- Lake of the Woods, Kenora Area Birding
- Facebook group for birds and birding in the Lake of the Woods and Kenora area.
- Niagara Bird Watchers
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Niagara Region.
- Nipissing Birding
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Nipissing District.
- Northwestern Ontario Birds
- Yahoo! group for bird sightings in northwestern Ontario, primarily focused on Thunder Bay.
- Pei lay sheesh kow - IBA ON157
- Facebook group for birds and birding in the Pei lay sheesh kow Important Bird and Biodiversity Area (Moose River mouth and southern James Bay).
- Peterborough Ontario Birds
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Peterborough County.
- Simcoe County Bird and Nature Board
- Online message board for bird and nature sightings in Simcoe County.
- Simcoe County Birding
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Simcoe County.
- Simcoe County Rare Bird Alert
- Facebook group for reports of rare birds in Simcoe County.
- Sioux Lookout bird watchers
- Facebook group for birds and birding in the Sioux Lookout area.
- Sudbury & Manitoulin Birding
- Facebook group for birds and birding in the Sudbury and Manitoulin Island area.
- Thunder Bay District Birds
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Thunder Bay District, but also welcomes reports and news from surrounding areas of northwestern Ontario.
- Timmins and Area - Bird group
- Facebook group for birds and birding in the Timmins area.
- Toronto and Southern Ontario Birding
- Online message board for bird sightings in Toronto; there are other forums at this address for other parts of southern Ontario but they're not often used lately.
- Toronto Birding
- Facebook group for birds and birding in the Toronto area.
- Waterloo Region Birds
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Waterloo Region.
- Email-based discussion group for bird sightings in Wellington County. To join, please contact the list administrator, Bill James at email@example.com.
- Wellington County Birders
- Facebook group for birds and birding in Wellington County.
- Windsor-Essex-Pelee Birds
- Google group for bird sightings in Essex County.
WhatsApp Regional Groups
There are several regional WhatsApp groups for sharing local sightings of interest. To join these you will need to have WhatsApp installed on your mobile device and contact one of the admins with your request to join. Some groups are limited to people who actually live in the area. Note that there is a limit of 256 people in a WhatsApp group and administrators have the discretion to limit the number of members.
|WhatsApp Group||Admin||Admin Contact|
|Algonquin Rare Bird Alert||Jeff Skevington, Rick Stronksfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Durham Birds||Charmaine Anderson, Dave Worthingtonemail@example.com|
|Long Point Birds||Stu Mackenze and Adam Timpffirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ottawa RBA||Mike Tate, Michelle Martinemail@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|P.E.C. Bird Alert||Sam Shepherdemail@example.com|
|Presqu'ile Birds||Bill Gilmourfirstname.lastname@example.org|